Photographic reproduction from a lantern slide of Chûn Castle, Morvah and Madron, c.1890s
The hillfort on the summit of Chûn Downs is an impressive structure. A circular fort with a large inner wall, perhaps originally up to 20 feet high, is surrounded by a ditch, a further wall, and a further ditch. The remains of huts and enclosures can be seen within the central space and there is a deep well on the northern side. Pottery ranging in date from the fourth century BC to the first century AD have been found during five excavations between 1862 and 1930. Image courtesy of and © David Thomas.